As part of my "Earth day series" here is a reminder of all the ways we could all save a little energy, guaranteed. If we all did just half of these, we could save a lot of energy. These are all things everybody has heard before. Nothing below is new.
Easy things you can do right now!
- Remove, or put on a timer, non-essential decorative lighting.
- Clean coils on your break room refrigerator.
- Put office equipment on a power strip so that after you shut down your PC, you can turn everything else off by hitting the switch on the power strip. Turning off a power strip also eliminates "ghost power" which is the power a utility still uses even in the off position
Ideas that require some effort:
- Remove non-essential fluorescent lights and install reflectors
- Install blinds or shades to keep the building cool in the summer
- Install programmable thermostats to turn your HVAC system off when the building is not occupied
- Install motion sensor in frequently unoccupied areas such as restrooms or storage areas
Ideas for the more committed:
- Lap tops consume 90% less energy than desk tops
- Ink jet printer consume 90% less than Laser printers
- Rewire bathroom fans to operate only when the light is on
- Replace old HVAC system with new energy-efficient system
- When buying office equipment buy Energy Star