Tips for Green Shopping
As part of my "Earth day series" here is a reminder of all the ways we could all save a little energy, guaranteed. If we all did just half of these; we could save a lot of energy. These are all things everybody has heard before. Nothing below is new.
- Buy a reusable shopping bag. They're better, can hold more stuff without breaking and some stores give you a discount!
- Buy products in the largest size you can use. You'll get a better price per serving, make fewer trips to the store, throw away less packaging material.
- Purchase what you can in bulk and store them at home in glass mason jars or plastic ware.
- If you buy purified water, buy it in large plastic jugs instead of small individual bottles. Or, switch from bottled water by installing a water filter on your tap, saving resources and money.A lot of supermarkets allow you to bring in your large water cooler bottle and fill up with filtered water for a reasonable price.
Takes a little work
- Buy reusable and long-lasting items such as rechargeable batteries, cloth diapers, non-disposable cameras, cloth towels and napkins, hand razors, high quality/long life tires, and coffee mugs.
For the more committed
- Walking to the store saves gas and provides you with great physical fitness. Plus you don't have to worry about your car door getting "dinged".
- Shop for food that is organic, locally grown or processed, and doesn't contain pesticides or genetically modified ingredients (GMOs).
I love living in Rincon Valley! I've lived here since 1995 and can't imagine living in a better North Bay community. Call me today if you're interested in buying a home in Rincon Valley, or if you'd like to list your Rincon Valley home for sale.
|Jim Cheney, Your Rincon Valley Realtor|
- Jim Cheney, Broker
- Saint Francis Property
- (707) 494-1055
- Rincon Valley - Santa Rosa